Sunday, June 21, 2009

An Amendment of Sorts

I read over that most recent post last night and must have had it on my mind at church this morning.

I think what I wrote made it sound like I don't believe people can change, that there are some who are too lost.

That's not what I meant at all.

I'm also not trying to say that loving a sinner is useless. Love is what sets us free to live as we should.

But not human love. And that is what I often forget.

It is not my love for my brother or sister that is going to cause them to turn around. It's the infinite matchless Love of God.

And His love can inspire the Beast - it's the only love with the power to change, to heal, to restore. Love will set the captive free.

It is His kindness that leads us to repentance.

It is His kindness that leads us to repentance.

Kindness.

Not mine.

His.

Some of you who read my blog (if anyone actually reads it anymore) are aware of the situation that probably prompted many of the thoughts and struggles of my last few posts. In regard to that situation, I want to say that I am not giving up. Not in the slightest. My prayers for this person have not lessened; instead they have increased in frequency and intensity. What's changed is that I am no longer going to rely on my own love to do for this individual what only God's love could ever do.

No comments: