Saturday, March 28, 2015

52 in 2015: Update

Now that we are about one quarter of the way through the year I thought I'd do a quick update about the books I've been reading.  I've definitely made some progress in the past six weeks, and am still ahead of schedule, but am going a little more slowly now.  I read one book a week.

The entire list is below, with the books read since the last post in bold with some brief comments.

Non-fiction:
Every Bitter Thing is Sweet by Sara Hagerty
Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker
7 by Jen Hatmaker
Breaking Free by Beth Moore
A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson
The Envy of Eve by Melissa Kruger
Recapture the Wonder by Ravi Zacharias
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
Depression: Looking Up From The Stubborn Darkness (Edward T. Welch) – I think I will write a post just on this book.  It gave me a lot to think about, though I didn’t agree with everything.
Quiet: the Power of Introverts in a World that can't Stop Talking (Susan Cain) – a little dry but fun for an introvert to read.
The Fringe Hours (Jessica Turner) – enjoyable but not life-changing (for me, anyway. I can see how others might be wowed.)
Jesus the King (Timothy Keller) – a study of the book of Mark.  I learned a ton and saw some stories I’ve heard since childhood in a whole new light.

Fiction:
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Alan Bradley)
Big Little Lies (Liane Moriarty)
The Magician’s Nephew (C.S. Lewis)
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (C.S. Lewis) – I read the entire Narnia series as a child and plan to work my way through them this year as well.  This time I through I find myself paying less attention to the plot and maybe more attention to the deeper meanings and parallels.  I found The Magician’s Nephew particularly beautiful in this regard.
The Good Girl (Mary Kubica) – this book was on a list of recommended reading for those who enjoyed Gone Girl.  It wasn’t nearly as good (in my opinion) but did hold my interest and I read it quickly.
The Invention of Wings (Sue Monk Kidd) – I finished this one today.  AMAZING.  Really.  Get it now and read it.  This is a historical fiction novel and tells the story of Sarah and Angelina Grimke, two early abolitionists and feminists who grew up as slaveholders in Charleston.  It is fantastic.  I never read Sue’s other book, The Secret Life of Bees, but plan to now.

Currently Reading:
Sabbath (Wayne Muller) – reading through this one slowly, as the chapters are brief and meant for contemplation.
He Chose the Nails (Max Lucado) – I plan to read (and finish) this during Holy Week
Year of Wonders (Geraldine Brooks)


Total Finished as of March 28, 2015 -- 18.

Please leave comments with book recommendations!!!

No comments: