Friday, April 25, 2008

The Family of God


This morning, while walking back from the gym, Lacey and I heard the church bells downtown playing this hymn. As I reflected on events from yesterday, I couldn't help but rejoice in God's love and goodness.


From the door of an orphanage to the house of a king,
No longer an outcast, a new song I sing;
From rags unto riches, from the weak to the strong,
I'm not worthy to be here, but Praise God! I belong!

I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God
I've been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the family, the family of God.

I think the greatest thing about this family is the common bond that we have. The love of Christ joins us in a way that nothing else can. Let's compare it to the bond that we have with our fellow Americans. When travelling overseas, I often chat briefly with other Americans abroad. But the conversation is often stilted and awkward and ends when we realize we have very little to talk about.

Not so with my Christian brothers and sisters. The bond we have comes from the fact that the Spirit of the Living God is in each of us. Our sins have been nailed to the cross - together - and we have been called children of the Most High and coheirs with Christ. We are bound to each other not just in this life, but for all eternity.

That is why two strangers can meet at a professional baseball game and end up walking the streets of an unfamiliar city, enjoying meaningful conversation about the passions of their hearts. About
salvation, about Africa, about bringing hope to the world, about calling, about living a life that really matters. No moments of uncomfortable silence. Just two hearts in complete accord about what is important. A beautiful thing.

And I remembered why someday I simply must return to Africa: because that's where I left my heart.


No comments: