Thursday, April 10, 2008

Some Thoughts on Weddings

They're expensive and highly emotionally charged. Lately, they are all I kind think about.

It seems that everybody is getting married this summer. I graduate May 17, head to Taiwan from June 26 to July 22, and then move to Williamsburg sometime after August 9. Why after August 9? Because that's the date of the final wedding of the summer.

I looked at the calendar today and found that of the weekends this summer that I will be in the country, I will attend a wedding on every one except May 23. On two of those weekends I was forced to decide between two different friends. That made for some awkward moments. Four days after I get back from Taiwan I'm a bridesmaid in my roommate's wedding (which makes me pray every night that I don't get another nasty spider bite this year).

Despite how this post might sound, I am excited about it. I have known these couples for years and love them all and I'm so happy for them. But, at the same time, I've had it with hearing about dresses and cake and photography packages.

It makes me wonder. We spend months preparing for a wedding, but how much time do we devote to preparing for a marriage?

From what I've seen lately, not much at all.

No comments: