Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holy


Stop praying.

This is the title of Chan's first chapter. Shocking? Yes, but the discussion that follows is noteworthy.

In Ecclesiastes, Solomon warns us, "Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few."

How many times have I uttered careless words before the Creator of heaven and earth? How often do I sing in worship services without actually letting the words pass through my mind and heart before they leave my lips? When did I last have a time of "prayer" in which I rambled on about something similar to a Christmas wish list and failed to spend even a second thanking Him for who He is?

Only fools treat Him this way.

I am one.

And so, Chan says we must stop and gaze at God in reverent awe. In holy fear. In the words of R.C. Sproul, "Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God."

Let's think about His majesty for a minute. He is omniscient. Omnipotent. He is all-loving, and He is justice.

And He is holy.

There are moments when I glimpse His holiness and I am overwhelmed. Like Isaiah, I fall to the ground and proclaim my unworthiness. Who is He that He would be mindful of me?

Who am I that I am so rarely truly mindful of Him?

If you know me, you know that music speaks to me in ways that not much else can. Thus, it shouldn't surprise you that my response to this chapter was to break into song. Several anthems came to mind, but I will share just one. It is an old Point of Grace song called "God Forbid"

The more I know Your power, Lord
The more I'm mindful
How casually we speak and sing Your name
How often we have come to You with no fear or wonder
And called upon You only for what we stand to gain

God forbid that I find You so familiar
That I think of You as less than who You are
God forbid that I should think of You at all
Without a humble reverence in my heart
God forbid...

Lord, I often talk about Your love and mercy
How it seems to me Your goodness has no end
It frightens me to think that I could take You for granted
Though You're closer than a brother, You are more than just my friend

You are Father God Almighty
Lord of Lords, You're King of Kings
Beyond my understanding, no less than everything
God forbid that I find You so familiar
That I think of You as less than who You are
God forbid that I should speak of You at all
Without a humble reverence in my heart
God forbid, God forbid, God forbid.

No comments: