Monday, November 17, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Blondies

I made these on Saturday and served them to my best culinary critics -- my sisters -- on Sunday.  The recipe is from Averie Cooks Blog and is in her upcoming cookbook that includes only pumpkin recipes.

Recipe first -- then my thoughts.

Ingredients: 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I made my own sans nutmeg)
1-1/4 cup flour
3 Tablespoons sugar, for sprinking
2 Teaspoons cinnamon, for sprinking (I actually cheated her and used a cinnamon sugar blend that I keep on hand for toast)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350*F.  Line an 8x8 pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray and set aside.

2.  In a large microwaveable bowl, melt the butter (about 1 minute) and set aside.

3.  Wait a little while for the butter to cool -- this is key, y'all.  You don't want scrambled eggs in your pastries!.  I actually whisked my egg before pouring into the mixture and stirred continuously while adding it.  It worked!  Then add brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and pie spice, and whisk until smooth.

4.  Add the flour and stir until just combined.



5.  Pour into prepared pan, smooth (I didn't do that very well because I didn't care) and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.



6.  Bake 25-27 minutes or until done (toothpick comes out cleanish).



Overall, this makes a yummy dessert.  I must say, however, that I was slightly disappointed with the texture and I think the "Blondie" in the name was misleading.  I just didn't get that wonderful blondie taste and texture in this.  I'm not sure if it needed more butter, more flour or what.  Maybe it's just that the pumpkin makes it very moist and spongy/rubbery.  It just isn't what I expected but was still yummy.  I would just prefer that they'd been named "Pumpkin Snickerdoodle BARS" and there wouldn't have been such a let down for me personally.

They do, however, get the Mock girls' stamp of approval.


No comments: