Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday Song: Advent #1

Today marks the first Sunday of Advent: a time of preparation of the arrival of a notable person, in our case, the King of the world.

It seems the world and most Christians forget this step. I guess in some ways, I do too.  My tree is set up and decorated in red and gold, not purple, which is the advent tradition.  I started listening to Christmas music last week.

But this year I am also going to focus on preparation for His arrival.  I bought my first advent wreath and I'm going to devote time to prayer and fasting.  I created an "advent playlist" that consists solely of songs of waiting.

"Let every heart prepare Him room...."

With that in mind, the next four Sunday songs will follow this theme of Advent.  Songs of meditation, of preparation, of joyful expectation.

Today's song came to mind while reading Psalm 136 this morning.  I've always known it as the "His love endures forever" one, but today I focused on the other half of the words.

"He remembered us in our low estate and freed us from our enemies."

He remembered us in our lowliness.  No, He did so much more than that.  He joined us there.

 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was
in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 

He joined us in our low estate.  He took on our lowliness.

Today's song reminds us of how low He stooped to join us.  May my lowly heart be ready to receive him.





No comments: