Saturday, October 3, 2015

Celebrities Are People, Too!


Shocking, right?  But really. They are...they're just like us.  Well, Mindy Kaling is at least.

I just finished reading Mindy's second book, Why Not Me? and I found myself laughing out loud through most of it. I loved her first book so I was very much looking forward to this one, but recently I've found myself rather disappointed by a few author's sophomore releases so I did have some doubts.

I didn't need to worry, though. Mindy picks up right where she left off in Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, which concluded with her role on "The Office."  Now considered established in her career, Why Not Me? chronicles her journey as executive producer of "The Mindy Project" as well as her experiences in dating.

I will say that there were portions of this book that were a little tedious for me. She writes at length about work and it's not nearly as funny or interesting to me as the rest, but I'm willing to credit that to personal differences. I doubt she would enjoy each one of my blog posts either.

I think my favorite part of this book was the section on relationships. Mindy is just like the rest of us. She doesn't want to be alone and has a WILD imagination (I won't give it all away, but my favorite chapter is called, "A Perfect Courtship in my Alternate Life". Hilarious and relatable.)  She writes with a beautiful blend of self-deprecating humor, vulnerability, and heart and after reading this book, I really just want to be her friend.  And find my soul snake. 

Who should read this book? Women with a sense of humor (or ones who wish they did) or anyone looking to escape their own reality for a while.

**I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments: